Barcelona is a great cycling destination, that’s for sure.
Even if it is a big city, cycling is great in Barcelona, with nice climbs, smooth road surface, very good weather and polite drivers.
Very close to Barcelona there are several hills very interesting for us cyclists. Not big first category mountains, as they are a bit further, but from same Barcelona there some very nice ones, really worth to cycle up there. The average range would be about 350-400 mts height with 5-6 km of climbing. As said before, very interesting to put together some of them to do some nice workout!
10 hills around Barcelona
- Tibidabo is the main hill around Barcelona. The church on top overlooks the whole city and is the main destination of every keen cyclist arriving to Barcelona. 500 mts height.
- Forat del Vent (literally Hole of the wind in catalan language). Very interesting loop including this climb and Tibidabo. The road to Forat del Vent is very interesting, with scarce traffic and nice views of Montserrat from top.
- La Vallensana. In the north of Barcelona, belonging to Serralada del Prelitoral. Specially recommended from Montcada i Reixach, no traffic.
- La Conreria. Vallensana and La Conreria is another perfect loop, very similar climbs. Nice views over the sea from top.
- Coll de Parpers. Recommended. About 30 km from Barcelona, it is the road from La Roca del Valles to Argentona. A classical loop would be climbing Parpers from La Roca del Valles and returning to Barcelona on the flat (and busy) coastal road NII.
- Creu de l’Aragall. Nice climb specially from Gelida. Not so interesting the side from Corbera de Llobregat as the road leads to the busy N340
- Port de l’Ordal. A classical climb to get from Barcelona to Penedes wine region. Ordal is on the road 340, which can be busy. A popular climb for locals.
- Ullastrell. From Terrassa to Martorell. Very nice climb, not so nice when getting the busy cities at the bottom. Another classical ascent around Barcelona, and a classical approach to get to Montserrat.
- Coll d’Orrius. Very close to Coll de Parpers, and again a perfect loop including both climbs. Some steep parts, though!
- Els Cassots. In Penedes wine region, starting at Sant Sadurni d’Anoia. No traffic, very easy to put together with its neighbour Port d’Ordal.