Here we suggest our most successfull trip in Catalonia. Putting together Barcelona, the great mediterranean metropolis, and Girona, the most famous cycling destination in Spain.
Will you join us?
Barcelona-Girona, cycling trip in 6 stages
Recommended all year long.
|DEPARTURE:||Hotel in Barcelona. You will begin cycling from the hotel|
|DEPARTURE TIME||You choose starting time. Usually 9AM every day|
Recommended all year long.
- We will take you to the best roads around. We know every small road you will enjoy and keep away from busy and dangerous roads.
- We can adapt every stage to your needs. We can make them longer or shorter (we might change some destination towns)
- Tour itself can be shortened if needed. 6 stages is the ideal number of stages to get to know the coastal roads, some climbing getting to the Pyrenees and some of the best roads around Girona. But we can adapt the route to 4, 5 or 7 stages if you need.
- Our hotel selection is very accurated. We mix some of the best urban hotels (in Barcelona you will enjoy a fantastic 4 stars hotel with the best location) with other hotels at the seaside and even some rural cozy hotels. You will enjoy all of them.
- 6 cycling days
- From 560 kilometers
- 6 nights in 3-4 stars hotels
- Recommended March-November. Better avoid July and August.
- This trip can be tailor made throughout the year to suit your requirements
Day 1: Departure
Calella-Caldes de Malavella 80 km
One of the nicest roads you can cycle in whole Catalonia is the one from Tossa de Mar to Sant Feliu de Guixols. It is time to enjoy landscape, views, weather… cycling. Once in Sant Feliu de Guixols then direction Santa Cristina d’Aro and afterwards to Romanyà. Finally, a crossroad leading to Llagostera will put you in the right direction to Caldes de Malavella.
Caldes de Malavella-L’Escala 77 km. Few miles after the start begins the climb of the day, a beautiful, solitaire and not very steep climb named Santa Pellaia. After the descent towards La Bisbal we will cycle through not very crowded roads, and then a stop in Peretallada is worth. Old and touristic town, cars are not allowed and lots of restaurants and shops welcome the tourists. After Peretallada we will continue through Torroella de Montgrí till L’Escala..
L’Escala-Figueres 53 km A shorter stage for those who are not that strong, but this stage can be much longer and tougher if needed. A possibility would be going from Roses to Alt de Perafita and stop in Cadaqués, where genious Salvador Dalí lived. Steep climb to the Monestry of San Pere de Rodes is also possible. Nice aerial views from there to Port de la Seva and Costa Brava. This area maybe windy, with the so named, tramuntana wind, very strong if it blows. Figueres is a must, with the Museum dedicated to Salvador Dalí.
Figueres-Olot 64 km Going out from Figueres through N260 is a quick way out. Wide road leading Besalú that you will leave direction Esponellà and Banyoles. It is worth, the visit of Banyoles, the village beside the famous lake, where a lot of triathlon competitions take place. A good place to stop and enjoy the place. Afterwards there are severals climbs, not very steep, to get some height reaching finally Olot at 440 meters height.
Olot-Girona 55 km. This is also a quite short stage, mostly in descent. It is a quite wide road C-63 till getting the crossroad in Sant Feliu de Pallerols to a more narrow road leading to Girona. If you like steep climbs, there is a very good option from Olot and Sant Esteve de’n Bas, this is the climb to Coll de Bracons, challenging climb with nice overviews of the valley at the top. It is really worth.
Day 7: Return
– “Excellent support on a multi-day cycling trip for a couple.” Claudio planned our routes, booked accommodations, shuttled our luggage and rented bicycles for a six day trip from Barcelona to Girona via many Catalonian cycling highlights. All this for two people! Most outfits wouldn’t even talk to us.Claudio is an enthusiastic guide with an incredible amount of knowledge about the area. The routes were suited to our ability and the equipment was excellent. Each day had a highlight: Tibidabo, Costa Brava, the Spa at Balneari Vichy Catalan, the hill out of Tamariu and on to Begur, the climb to Sant Pere de Rodes, the farm stays in Perelada and Joanetes (plus Collada des Bracons bonus climb), capped off by the view at el Far and riding into Girona.
I’d heartily recommend any trip with Claudio and would love to go back. Unforgettable
–“There were eight of us looking for a Spanish-Pyrenees cycling trip. Montefusco Cycling organized a 7 day trip cycling ~110km a day on the best roads Catalunya had to offer. Hardly a car on many roads! For an all inclusive price, Montefusco Cycling provided us routes, did the airport transfers, booked the hotels with breakfast & dinner included, completed the daily luggage transfer from hotel to hotel, provided on-road support including lunch stops, and coordinated storage of our bike boxes. Hotels and food were top notch (except for one…it WAS the nicest in town though) and we really appreciated our immersion in Catalonian culture. Both Claudio Montefusco and James Martin worked tirelessly every day to make sure there was nothing we needed to be concerned about….”
– “My wife and I were planning a two week bike ride through the North of Spain and South Western France. We generally do our own thing, not being tour oriented. We discovered Claudio online. His communication was extremely professional and timely. His pricing was a good value…”Read more