This picture was taken at Mirador de Jaizkibel. We just ended a Transpyrenees cycling trip from the Mediterranean sea to the Atlantic ocean across the Pyrenees in 8 stages, 987 km, and 18 major mountain passes.
Even if there are many different ways to do the Coast to Coast Transpyrenees trip, this group wanted a demanding tour in 8 stages. And they had it!
Then, instead of the classical Hendaye-Cerbere tour (720 km long), we designed a little longer one, including more kilometers but also more climbs. Moreover, the start of the trip was at the Barcelona northern coast (in Calella), then the transportation to starting point was much easier than other Transpyrenees trips.
- Calella-Pantà de Sau (including Santa Fe del Montseny and Coll Formic)
- Pantà de Sau-Puigcerdà (including Coll de la Creueta)
- Puigcerdà-València d’Aneu (including Coll de Cantó)
- València d’Aneu-Bagneres de Luchon (including Port de la Bonaigua, Portillon, and Superbagneres)
- Bagneres de Luchon-Campan (including Port de bales, Peyresourde, and Aspin)
- Campan-Bielle (including Tourmalet, and Aubisque)
- Bielle-Saint Jean de Pied de Port (including Pierre St Martin and Chalets de Iraty)
- St Jean de Pied de Port-San Sebastián (including Izpegi, Otsondo, and Jaizkibel).
Many highlights for a Transpyrenees cycling trip like this, but if I have to choose 3 cycling moments, they would be:
- Col du Tourmalet. The king, the best, the beast, and the picture at the top with Giant is an icon.
- Port de Bales, one of the most scenic climbs in all the Pyrenees
- Jaizkibel. On the arrival stage to San Sebastián we included the iconic Jaizkibel.
It was a demanding bike trip, but it was not just about cycling. The 3 best non-cyclist moments were:
- Fantastic hotel close to Pantà de Sau (historical building by the dam)
- Walk at Saint Jean de Pied de Port, at the start of Camino de Santiago, a fantastic french walled city.
- Pintxos dinner on arrival to San Sebastián, which is absolutely a must!
About the weather (which can always be an issue on a trip like this) was fantastic, and just on stage
Such an adventure for our swiss group! We are always happy to design custom tours like this one!